Untitled Document
Data on Bueu

Integrated in the Morrazo Peninsula, the village of Bueu borders on the sea (Ria of Pontevedra) to the north, on the district of Cangas to the south, eastwards on the districts of Marin and Moaña and westwards on the Ria of Aldán.

Bueu is perfectly accessible by the C-550 that connects it to Pontevedra, the capital of the province, at a distance of 19 km. Landscape of Bueu.
In case you are coming from Vigo, you can either take the N-550 or the A-9 motorway that crosses the Ria of Vigo by the Rande Bridge.

From Cangas you can choose between the road that runs along the coast and a shortcut in perfect conditions, the regional road PO-320.

About 13,003 inhabitants live in this municipality that covers about 31 km2 on the coast, 10 km2 of which are islands.

The Council is constituted in 1821 and after a period of absolutism - from 1823 to 1833 - it is definitely confirmed as such on 29th October 1836.This way, the new constitutional system supersedes the old regime based on estates and jurisdictions, the chief town being the close-by Cangas of Morrazo.

In the beginning it included not only the parishes of Beluso, Bueu and Cela that presently constitute the municipality, but also the nearby San Ciprián and San Andrés de Hio, segregated on 1st April 1873 and of course Ermelo, formerly a parish of San Joaquin de Ons.

The main source of wealth is fishing. Soil nowadays supplies just enough to feed local needs. The "ardora" fishing - a system of enclosing nets - in old times made of Bueu one of the most important harbours in the region, that supported the canning industry. Sea-fishing and deep-sea fishing took over and nowadays causes the exodus of our fishermen to far-away fishing grounds. This fleet is now based in other larger harbours, such as Marin and Vigo.

Santa Maria de Beluso (= Holy Mary of Beluso)

Maybe from the celtic root "bel" - good, that charms - plus latin derivative. Could be related to the word "beloso" - enthralling, captivating, that makes beautiful. According to some, could be a derivation from "vela" (= sail), in which case would be written originally with "v".

Constituted as a parish more recently than the neighbouring ones, as in former centuries we found it fragmented in the estates of Bon and Vilar, the borough of "Belluzo" on which the Marquis of Santa Cruz of Rivadulla still keeps the right of presentation.

There is documental proof of a donation from the Queen "Doña" (Lady) Urraca to the Monastery of Poyo in 1008 that says: "... half the borough of Belluz with its church..."

The most important places are: Achadiza, Bon, Cabalo, Cabritiña, Castro, Coast of Figueirón, Coto Chan de Piñeiro, Estrada, Granxa, Moreira, Pedrosa, Pereira, Beach of Beluso, Roza, Sight of the Harbour of Beluso, Ruanova, Sanamedio, Sar, Vela and Villar.

Santa María de Cela (= Holy Mary of Cela)

From etymon "cellam" (granary, barn, warehouse, pantry, oven) although we tend to think it could well relate to the "celdas" (cells) or habitacles, lodging of monks and friars, in which case they would be meant to provide for the soul... The origin possibly goes back to its own romanic parish church, an obliged reference for the visitor. Already documented as soon as 1252 and 1253 in a letter of donation issued to the Monastery of Armenteira by the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, covering several goods located in this "... parish of Sancte Marie de Celli".

The most important places are: Antepazo, Barral, Beloso, Burgo, Cabreira, Castiñáns, Castrelo, Curráns, Friande, Outeiro, Paradela, Pena, Pousada, Rio, Sabarigo, Souto, Resille, Torre and Casal.

San Martiño de Bueu (= Saint Martin of Bueu)

In this parish is the village that gives the district its name and capital township. There are a number of ethymological suggestions. Its possible origin lies in the proto-celtic root “bod-bud” – (= ditch), and “budetv” = generally soaked and swampy land where pods or bullrush grow everywhere. Its existence was already documented in the XVI Century, but contrary to what we could believe nowadays, we should look for its origins on the neighbouring steeps and not in the valley: Outeiro, Norte, Balado, Carrasqueira. Nowadays all the services belonging to the capital can be found here: Town-Hall, Post-Office, banks, hotels, fish-market, market and restaurants, hiring-market, fishing harbour, medical centre and secondary education school.

Its most important places are: Barreiros, Canceliña, Currás, Enleito, A Graña, Lagarteira, Liboreiro, Loureiro, Meáns, Meiro, Petís, Pedreira, Playa (= beach) or Bueu, Portela, Ramorta, Soutelo, Trasouto, Viso and Xeside.

Santiago de Hermelo

Formerly a parish and private estate where the friars of the Order of San Benito held temporal power under the rule of the Monastery of San Salvador of Poio. From latin “eremus”, wasteland, inhospitable and uninhabited. Its foundation is thought to have taken place in the early High Middle Age and related to the christianizing work of San Martin Rumiense and San Fructuoso from Braga.

It is nowadays annexed to the parish of Santa Maria of Cela. According to the legend, Ermelo was the father and founder of the Peninsula of Morrazo.

A latin inscription on stone inside the priorate temple indicates its reconstruction in year 1102. It was previously mentionned in churches belonging to the Sere Iriense by Tructino in year 830, saying: ”...scm.Iohannem ad heremo...” Places of interest: A Fonte, Do Rosal, Da Pereira, Esculca, Cruz da Facha, Paralaia, Pouso das Cruces.

San Joaquín de Ons

Of primitive pre-romanic origin (according to quoting from Plinio) together with the islands of Onza and O Centulo constitute the insular Bueu. It is 6 km long and 2 km wide. Located at the entrance of the Ria of Pontevedra, it is connected by sea with Bueu, Marin, Sanxenxo and Portonovo.

These islands were annexed to the district of Bueu in 1844 and nowadays constitute one of the main natural resources and landscape points of interest in this district.

As far as territory is concerned, it is annexed to the parish of Santa Maria of Beluso. It has however its own chapel and cemetery.

Its main points of interest are: Beach of Dornas, Melide, Area dos Cans, Pereiró, Canexol, Fedorentos, Caño, Curro, Cucano, Chan da Pólvora, O Faro (= the Lighthouse).

Cangas Aventura
Movilynos
A Xustiña